Daily Dose of Coach #214: Tip #1 on Goal Setting

This is one of my favorite times of the year. The crazy rush of the holiday season is over. And hopefully you'll have some time this week to reflect on 2017 and prepare, on paper, for 2018.

Goal setting is one of the most important things you'll ever do. Not just the act of writing them, but committing to the process of working on them daily. That's why tip #1 is so important, make time .

If you are really going to make progress, your goals have to be specific, meaningful and important to you. It's not just the act of saying I want lose weight or make more money, it's the "why" and emotion behind it. This is what inspires the only thing that will get your goals accomplished; daily discipline.

Years ago I specifically remember reading this about goal setting that changed my life. It was, "only 3% of people have clear, specific, written goals and plans that they work on each day. The other 97% have hopes, dreams, wishes, and fantasies, but not goals. And the great tragedy is that they don't know the difference."

It was one of those, ah ha moments for me. I started to make time to think about what I wanted to accomplish in 10 years, 5 years, and following year. I wrote each goal down in a regular note book and then later went to my favorite recording tool, the Moleskin journal . Besides my personal growth plan, no other idea I've committed to has been more valuable to my progress.

To achieve goals, you have to make time to set them. Block off some time this week to sit by yourself. Find a quite place where you can focus and think about what you want to accomplish in the next 10 years, 5 years and the following year. Make these goals as specific as you can. Emotionalize them, ask why do they mean so much to you, and write them all down.

Tomorrow I'll give you tip #2.