This past weekend I spent no time writing and two days trying not to screw up myfitnesspal food log. After returning from a fun filled weekend that did not include eating well, I thought I'd kick the week off with some info about processed foods.
Dr. Robert Lustig, a pediatic researcher from the University of California, found 4 ways that processed foods are kicking the crap out of America. They make an American enemy like ISIS look like a kindergarten class.
He believes that processed foods have increased refined carbohydrate intake, increased rates of type 2 diabetes and obesity, harmed the environment, and driven American health care costs up.
If you're looking at killing a society from the inside out. There's a good formula to start with.
He also came up with 11 ways processed foods are different than processed? Here's a brief summary I found in an article on livescience.com.
1. Not enough fiber: Fiber plays a key role in how food is absorbed in the gut.
2. Not enough omega-3 fatty acids: Have great inflammatory properties in the body.
3. Too many omega-6 fatty acids: Too much of this in your diet can promote an proinflammatory state.
4. Not enough Micronutrients: processed foods have little vitamins and minerals.
5. Too many trans fats: Transfats like to live in people's arteries and liver and create free radicals.
6. Too many BCAA's: Excess BCAA's are taken to liver and converted to fat.
7. Too many emulsifiers: Can create intestinal disease and food allergies.
8. Too many nitrates: Have been linked to colon cancer.
9. Too much salt: Increases changes of hypertension and heart disease.
10. Too much ethanol: Too much of ethanol or alcohol is a health concern.
11. Too much fructose: Fructose is broken down the in the liver the same way as ethanol. Sometimes sugar is called, "alcohol of the child." Today may children have fatty liver disease even though they do not consume alcohol. This is because of too much sugar consumption.
Fight back. Limit your processed foods as much as possible.